Friday, October 30, 2009

For the Love of the Tractor

The McNutt Tractory Company in Paris, TN was and STILL IS an important part of the McNutt Family. The company was family owned, and Walt started working there when he was quite young (about 9 or 10 years old). So, it was no surprise when Walt came to me one day with about 8 of his old tractor-company work shirts and work baseball-type caps and said "I want you to make a quilt for Pop out of these old shirts and caps". Then, a few months later he said "Have you started Pop's quilt yet?" I thought about it and shopped around for different patterns and fabrics that would inspire me to come up with a quilt. Below you'll see what I came up with.
Pop -- here's your quilt -- and now a one-of-a-kind family heirloom because Walt only wants ONE made. It was done with ALOT of love.

The tractors came from a big truck pattern I found -- I had to change it up a little because Walt only wanted RED tractors. It's kind of hard to find gray fabric and it's suppose to be hard to use it correctly in a quilt. I'm pretty proud of this and how it turned out.
The center squares are cut out of the back of Walt's old work shirt with a pocket on each side. I love that his name "Walter" is embroidered over the pocket. Above the square, I trimmed them with the front part of his shirt that has the buttons and buttonholes on it.

The top of the quilt has the caps and patches that he gave me. I cut them up and made quilt squares out of each. Then, topped it off with another pocket and red tractor. The quilt measures 66" x 63". Hey Bob -- Dad wants you to have this quilt when it gets passed on.

No comments:

Post a Comment